John is a nationally-recognized leader and trusted advocate of people in the civil justice space. With over 20 years of experience in the settlement planning industry, he founded Milestone's qualified settlement fund administration firm, SEC-registered investment advisory firm, and 501(c)(3) pre-settlement funding nonprofit. Most recently, John co-founded the startup CrowFly. He is the driver of the firms' national business development and works closely with leadership to facilitate strategic growth.
Milestone – Founder/Member, 2012-Present
- Founder of suite of nationally acclaimed companies responsible for settlement administration, planning, and management
- Administrator or consultant on over 10 major multidistrict litigations and counting
- Involved in landmark cases such as the BP/Deepwater Horizon settlement, the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, the 1983 Beirut Marine Barracks Bombing, the U.S. embassy bombing in Tanzania, and notable national aviation disasters
Milestone Foundation – Co-Founder, 2016-Present
- Created first not-for-profit organization in the non-recourse lending industry
- Provides financial relief to individuals and families in litigation and in need of support
CrowFly – Co-Founder, 2017-Present
- Founder of start-up that enables people to sell and buy future structured settlement payments
- Disrupting an established industry that historically takes advantage of people who need to sell their structured settlement for cash
Forge Consulting, LLC – Founder/Owner/CEO, 2003-2012
- Founded national settlement planning and structured settlement firm
- Offered expertise in client solutions that provide lifelong security and valuable tax advantages
Army National Guard – Captain, 142d Aviation Regiment, Rochester, NY, 1999-2003
EPS Settlements Group – Consultant, Northeast Representative, 1999-2002
United States Army – Captain, AH-64 Aviator, Commander, Aviation Officer, Aviation Risk Manager
- South Korea Plans Senior Staff Manager-Government Claims Liaison 1997 – 1999.
- Texas Project Leader 1995 – 1997
- Platoon Leader – Brigade Taskforce 1995 – 1997
- Alabama/Texas AH-64 Attack Helicopter Operations Manager 1992 – 1995.
B.S., Engineering and Spanish (Double Major), 1992. United States Military Academy (West Point, NY)
Awards & Distinctions
- Licensed in all 50 States
- 2013 Who’s Who in Insurance, Buffalo Business First
- 2012 Who’s Who in Insurance, Buffalo Business First
- 2003 ATLA Award for excellence in advocacy and commitment to the victims of September 11th
- 2003 MATA Humanitarian Award for commitment and dedication to the victims of September 11th
- 2002 Trial Lawyers for Public Justice appreciation for support and work for the TLPJ Foundation
- Rated in the top 1% of all Army Officers during the years 1992-1999
- Experienced Expert Witness
- Has provided consultation on taxation of periodic payment transactions, Special Needs Trusts, Reversionary Trusts, Living Trusts, and Irrevocable Trusts.
- Experience in pre and post settlement services, including: Rated Ages, Workers’ Compensation, SSD/SSI, Medicare/Medicaid, Medical Malpractice, Railroad Litigation, Self-Insured Retention (SIR), Mass Torts & Class Actions, Matrimonial/Division of Assets, Medicare Set-Asides, Structured Sales, Structured Settlements, Special Needs Trusts, Government Benefits Planning, and economic analysis.
- Non-physical Tort experience: Wrongful Termination, Employment Discrimination and Bad faith, Professional Liability.
- Developed Attorney Fee Deferral program for trial lawyers
- Attended 800+ mediations
- Active contributor to LegalExaminer.com for six years, publishing blog content for community of attorneys, safety industry experts, and consumer advocates
- Advocate for bills designed to protect consumers and enable pro bono settlement consulting
- Board Member, Casey Feldman Foundation and EndDD.org, End Distracted Driving
- Board of Directors, Injury Board
- Member, Trial Lawyers Care Task Force, AAJ
- Member, American Association for Justice Eagle PAC